Monday, April 18, 2011

This is why I write

I finished reading The Land of Painted Caves and I can't remember having such an emotional, visceral reaction to the events in a book in many years. These are characters whom I have been friends with since I was thirteen (I can't think of any better way to describe Ayla and Jondalar - they are old friends) and about two thirds of the way through this last book I felt as though I had been punched in the gut.

This is why I am a writer. I want to be the one to cause someone to gasp aloud when they reach a plot twist. I want someone to feel an emotional impact so deep and gut-wrenching it gives them a tummyache. (Okay, maybe not that, but I've certainly felt queasy all evening now.)

I will be sad to see Jondalar and Ayla go, but their adventure has concluded after thirty four years, and I'm glad they got the send-off they deserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment