Thursday, January 20, 2011

Updates at work

I feel uncomfortable writing at my office, even when I have permission (due to "downtime" and the nature of our business.) Mostly its the subject matter - romance novels are not exactly work safe. But there's also my need for solitude during writing.

I never had trouble writing essays in class, or on standardized tests, possibly because everyone else is engrossed in their work. But fiction is different. When I'm involved in my writing, I don't want anyone else to see it until I'm ready for them to see it. The process of writing for me is a messy one - drafts, scripts, and sections and chapters are all a muddle until I'm done. I don't mind someone looking after I'm finished (indeed, I want to share it with the universe) but not until I'm ready.

I have my own desk and wide open internet access at my office (giving me access to my drop box), but not my writing software. I am not allowed to use my own laptop without permission, not that I have a working laptop at the moment.

So I am going to have to get in the habit of writing the moment I get home, since it won't happen any other time.

No comments:

Post a Comment