Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Okay, now let's talk about fanfiction

I believe that fanfiction is a healthy outlet.

I believe that, when a new author joins a fanfiction community that has more experienced writers in it, they can get valuable feedback to improve their writing.

I do not believe fanfiction should ever be done for profit. It is, at its core, a derivative work, and should never be anything other than free.

I believe fanfiction authors should respect the wishes of the author of the original content. If an author says "No fanfiction" then there should be no fanfiction. If an author says "Go for it" then go for it. (Personally, if anyone ever wrote any fanfiction of my work, I'd be immensely flattered, but I probably wouldn't read it if it was a series in progress.)

I believe that you can learn to write by writing fanfiction, but only if you do it with a full slew of beta readers and accept constructive criticism. The only way to learn to write well, of course, is to write and keep writing and write some more.

Someone once said, "Draw 5,000 pictures, then you will know how to draw." Writing is the same. Write 5,000 stories, and then you will know how to write.

It doesn't really matter if it's fanfiction or if it's original works - good writing only comes from practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment